Have you noticed an increase in Traffic Police patrols in your area. According to an article in today’s Courier Mail and Australian newspapers, traffic police are saturating Brisbane streets in a move to stamp up the attack on speeding.
Specific operations are targeting high risk areas placing as many as four times the amount of police on the street to find road uses disobeying the law.
The current penalties in Queensland for speeding are:-
– less than 13km per hour over the speed limit – $146 fine and 1 demerit point;
– at least 13km per hour but not more than 20km per hour over the speed limit – $220 fine and 3 demerit points;
– more than 20km per hour but not more than 30km per hour over the speed limit – $366 fine and 4 demerit points;
– more than 30km per hour but not more than 40km per hour over the speed limit – $513 fine + 6 demerit points;
– more than 40km per hour over the speed limit – $1,026 fine, 8 demerit points and 6 months suspension.
Did you know that double demerit points also exist in some circumstances if you are caught for a second time speeding within a 12 month period? Receiving double demerit points can result in exceeding your allocation and licence disqualification.
Got a question? Contact Gold Coast Traffic Lawyer on 5527 0020 or via email so that we can help you.